Sunday, August 10, 2008

Oobleck, a Non-Newtonian fluid

This is one of the experiments I have been learning about in my science unit.
Oobleck, named from a Dr Suess book.
A non-Newtonian fluid is a fascinating substance that, depending on the force applied, will act like a solid or a liquid.
You can roll it in your hands and create a solid ball, but as soon as you stop moving it will turn back to a liquid and ooze through your fingers.

You make this by adding 1 part of water to two parts of cornflour with some food dye.

This makes a huge amount of mess, but it is a lot of fun.

This last few weeks of starting an university degree has been a huge shock to my system. The amount of work and reading is HUGE. I don't know what I thought it would be like but I know i didn't think it would consume so much of my time.

Full time uni+ part time work+ no nanny= not enough hours in the day.

All the lecturers have assured me that if you make it through the first five weeks you will make it through the four years!
I hope so!

4 comments:

Lori said...

That does look like fun. Good luck in the schooling, the beginning is always the hardest.

Hugs.

Anonymous said...

You can do it!!! As Laurel said the beginning is the hardest. The Oobleck looks fun!

Kristina

Shannon said...

I am so proud if you! It is hard to do something new but if anyone can do it you can! Hang in there.

I made oobleck several times in my classroom when I was teaching. It makes an awful mess but it is so much fun. Just let it dry and sweep it up. Keep extras in the fridge for future use or it gets really smelly!!! Never leave it sitting on the window sill over the weekend, trust me on this!!!!

Alonzo and Colin made Oobleck last year for the JIS science fair I blogged about it on May 15th and I also made it during raining season just to break up the boredom of being inside while it rains and rains. Blogged that Feb 4th.

Unknown said...

i so want some of them! it looks so much fun!