Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Egg Free Chocolate Crazy Cake

Crazy Cake

"This cake was popular during the depression, and does not have eggs in it."

Original recipe yield: 1 -9 x 13 inch cake.

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups all-purpose flour (self raising)
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups cold water

DIRECTIONS:
Sift flour, sugar, salt, soda, and cocoa together into a 9 x 13 inch ungreased cake pan. Make three wells. Pour oil into one well, vinegar into second, and vanilla into third well. Pour cold water over all, and stir well with fork.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes, or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Frost with your favorite icing.

I followed these instructions the first few times, but now I just throw it all in a bowl and mix. I have found that it is slow to cook so I usually cook it for 40 min, then turn the oven off and leave it in there for another 30 min. For Rob's cake I had half a block of dark chocolate which I melted and added to the mix just before I put it in the springform pan. DIVINE !!!

I got this recipe off the Web site All Recipes. We were having a kids party a few years ago and one guest had severe nut and egg allergies and this is what turned up from google. It is now a much requested family favorite.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Ok must not read food post at lunch time. Girl, I am starving for Choc. cake now!!!! Thanks for the recipe.