Sunday, May 20, 2007

Freakonomics



Wednesday 16th May 2007

I know what I am, but I do struggle with not being stuck in a box so to speak.
I am an Australian mum of three surviving on one wage, paying off a nice home in the suburbs, trying to provide our kids with all the opportunities we can. But I don’t want to just be the sum of this; I still want more out of life.
I like to do things that challenge, make me think and get outside the square and live a global life.. (Although the blonde streaks and giggling after only one glass of champagne could refute this). One e.g. of this is our move to Jakarta
A quote that I found a while ago sums it all up for me,
"Twenty years from now you will be more
disappointed by the things you didn't do than
by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbour.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain


I am not interested in TV that makes me think; to me it is for escapism and light entertainment. I like reading things that make me think. I like blogs because I get other peoples real life thoughts, feelings and views. I also have a very eclectic taste in books.
I have just read a book that is amazing for its difference-ness. Although I no way draw all the same conclusions that the authors do, I did find it SO compelling and fascinating.
Their author’s conclusion that pro abortion laws are the most indicative reason for the falling crime rate in USA is fascinating.
Some of the chapter titles are
What do School teachers and Sumo wrestlers have in common?
How is the k* klu* klan like a group of real estate agents?
Why do dr*g de*lers still live with their moms?
I recommend this book just for the “turning on your brain’ aspect, as well as the interestingness.

One of the things I admire most about GJ is his very logical, lateral thinking. I am always mad as hell when I analyze a problem and miss the lateral solution and then he walks in and solves the problem. (When I get it right over him, you will hear me roar with joy across the planet, it does occasionally happen LOL). We are a good mix, I am very empathic, I feel the needs, and he sees the problem and the solution so usually we fix the problem and the needs, so to speak. This is a book that is like lateral thinking, it makes you take a sideways step and look at things differently.
I have really enjoyed reading it and are delighted to find out that the authors have a blog, which WHEN I FINALLY HAVE THE BLOODY INTERNET BACK ON, will explore fully.

No comments: